Jeans have evolved a lot over the past century, but there was once a time when they were simply a wide-fitting, robust piece of workwear. We cherish the utilitarian roots of the five-pocket jean and this is evident in our Wide Leg Jeans.
These jeans are a true wide fit with a full leg, high rise, and large leg opening. As a nod to early 20th century traditional waist overalls, we left the rear pocket rivets exposed and fitted a Japan-made two prong cinch to help them sit high on the waist. Just how they should.
This edition of our Wide Leg Jean is made from 13 oz. hank-dyed raw selvedge denim, woven in Japan on 1920s Imamura looms. Hank dyeing is a special, time-consuming dyeing technique where cotton yarns are repeatedly dipped into indigo over a number of days to maximise colour penetration. The resulting denim has a soft hand, steely blue tone, and ages like no other.
Each pair of Dawson Wide Leg Jeans are handmade in our Brighton workshop using vintage sewing machines, and finished with a selvedge fly, Reece 101 button holes, and a hand-branded Dawson waist patch.
- 13 oz indigo dyed white selvedge, a copy of a pre 1930’s quality
- Woven on Japanese Imamura looms developed in the 1920’s
- Hank dyed
- Stone thread colour, we use core spun thread designed specifically for denim.
- Natural Japanese herring bone pocket bags, all pockets are fully lined.
- Natural undyed leather patch, branded by hand.
- Two prong cinch made in Japan
- Die cast heavy waistband button.
- Two prong nail fly buttons, this style was first patented around the 1870's.
- Copper branded washer and nail rivets.
- Splayed bucket shaped back pockets, for comfort.
- Hemmed using our 1959 Union Special Hemmer.
- Selvedge fly.
- Fully felled in-seam made on our Union Special 35800.
- Reece 101 button holes.
- Numbered product, signed by our maker.
All our jeans are made to order we aim to deliver within 4 weeks.
© Dawson Denim 2012
At Dawson Denim each item is custom made to order, on aprons it’s usually a week turn around. On jeans and jackets it usually takes around 4 or 5 weeks to cut and sew each piece. If you plan to buy something from our store for a specific date please email us through our contact page first to ensure we can make your deadline.
Any orders over £100 will have free shipping internationally, this will always be tracked and you should leave 3-5 days for delivery.
For any goods under £100 shipping within the UK we send with Royal Mail tracked second class.
For any goods shipping internationally we use Royal Mail International tracked or the equivalent cost on a courier.
Our Deck Pants are an update on the classic work pants worn by the US Navy from the 1930's to the 1940's. Issued with a full leg and a richly...
Inspired by the full-legged chinos worn by USAF pilots, our Wide Leg Chino stits high at the waist with a full leg and wide leg opening for a slouchy yet...
The Sack Jacket is our take on the archetypal workwear coverall. One of our earliest jacket silhouettes, we’ve updated the fit by trimming unnecessary room in the chest and sleeves,...
Join our newsletter & never miss a launch
Get Dawson Denim stories, new releases & exclusive offers delivered to your inbox.